Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I think my dog (puppy) may have eaten rat poison. I noticed

Customer Question

I think my dog (puppy) may have eaten rat poison. I noticed his gums bleeding today. I think he got into it on Wednesday night. I threw out the trash on Thursday and don't know the brand of rat poison. What can I do? What do I need to do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your puppy ate?
Customer: No. The poison was in a trash bag and he ripped the bag apart. The packets (3) of poison were thrown around. He is still eating, and pooping, but the bleeding gums this morning have me concerned.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?
Customer: Black Lab, in good health.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

An anticoagulant rodenticide can cause uncontrolled bleeding from any body orifice or an increased respiratory rate suggestive of bleeding into the chest cavity 1-4 days after ingestion. It would be prudent to have your dog's vet check your dog's bleeding times (PT, PTT blood tests) and if increased, treat with vitamin K (the antidote for this type of rodenticide) and IV fluids if it's apparent that your dog is also dehydrated...which can occur from profound bleeding. Time is of the essence in these cases. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.