Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I've switched…

My cat was recently diagnosed...
My cat was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I've switched his food to a low carb wet food and he gets insulin 2x/day. I forgot to give him insulin last nite and now this morning he is lethargic and won't eat. So I don't know what to do
I just discovered vomit in the basement with a bit of hairball. I have 3 cats so I'm not sure it's from the diabetic one, but he does have long hair. Can I give him hair ball paste?
9/11/2017
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Willow. I would not give him insulin if he is vomiting, and not eating. It is possible he is having an episode of low blood sugar if he is lethargic, not eating, and vomiting.

When was his blood sugar last checked and what was the result?

It would be safe to give him the hairball remedy and see if it helps. The best thing would be to have his blood sugar checked to see if he needs more insulin, or less insulin, or even no insulin right now.

If he seems more and more lethargic, I would put some Karo syrup on his gums to see if raising his blood sugar helps. If it does, he needs less insulin. If it does not help, he should be checked by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Diabetics can have complications such as infections, pancreatitis, etc. Checking his blood sugar is the first thing I would do.

Please let me if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for the great rating.

Hi Gina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Willow. How is everything going?