Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

The cat in question is ten years old. Has been an outdoor…

Customer Question
The cat in question...

The cat in question is ten years old. Has been an outdoor cat but for the last six years has lived in a condo. Always wants to get out though!!!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

He drinks an excessive amount of water and pees a great deal too. I wonder if he has diabetes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Charlie. Male naturally!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?

I have recently lost my husband and he misses him too.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Charlie.

My condolences to you both on the loss of your husband; I'm sure you're both still mourning life without him:(

As far as his increased thirst and urination goes, diabetes is certainly one possibility. Bloodwork and a urinalysis can confirm if this is the case.

However, there are other possibilities:

1. Kidney disease

2. Hyperthyroid disease

3. Some cats with urinary tract infections may behave this way although it's not as commonly seen in cats as it is in dogs.

Of course, some of these conditions might be considered “better” than others. For example, we can treat diabetes with insulin and/or diet. We have very effective treatments for Hyperthyroid Disease and many of these cats can do very well.
It can take a significant amount of damage to kidney cells before changes are seen in the blood so this is not as good a disease to have; treatment is often focused on preventing further damage.
It's possible that a good physical exam might pinpoint the problem but usually bloodwork is needed.

I hope this helps to provide possible explanations for his behavior. Deb