Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is a 9 year old male haired ourdoor-indoor cat (we…

Customer Question
Hello, my cat is...

Hello, my cat is a 9 year old male long haired ourdoor-indoor cat (we live ina rural area)and on wednesday morning he returned homelooking upset and ill and threw up a smelly brown liquid. we was still unwell the restof the day and drining plenty of water.from the next morning he was fine again and he eats, plays and goes out asususally. I I am not sure if he defecatesnormally as it is stillwarm outside and he preffers to go into the fielsds nearby instead of using th elitter box. should l be worried and do somenthing special? Unfotunatelly there is no vet where we live and to get him to the nearest one is a 2 hour boat ride. thank you!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

L cannot be sure as he goes out of the house but genrally he does not like to eat anything but his dry food

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

Otherthat that he is very healthywith no special conditions etc

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. Was this only one bout of vomiting that occurred?

he is fine after this incident which was 5days aho

If this was a single incident, there's nothing that needs to be done. Cats do occasionally vomit, just like people. That said, if the symptom returns and persists then you'll want to pursue diagnostics with your vet to determine the cause of vomiting. Otherwise, to answer your question, nothing special needs to be done with a single random bout of vomiting. Just keep your eye out for any additional symptoms to arise and schedule a vet visit if the symptoms return and persist.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I know that occasional vomiting is not serious but l was worried about the unusual, foul smell brown color and the reason he seemed upset before and after the incident

Thank you for the clarification. It was unclear since the question above was: "should l be worried and do somenthing special?"

It's likely since he is an outdoor cat that he consumed something that did not sit well with him. This may have been other food left for cats by another person, this may have been trash or a wild animal, etc. Certainly a foul odor could be detected if a cat may have consumed something that may have been off before ingestion. The brown color was likely due to the original pigment of whatever upset the stomach and may have also been pigmented by other foods he'd consumed. It's also common for cats to act unsettled when nauseated, which I presume may be the case since he's gone back to acting normally following this bout of nausea/vomiting.

Checking in. How is your companion today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy