Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a five-year-old potbelly pig that 150 pounds he had…

Customer Question
I have a five-year-old...

I have a five-year-old potbelly pig that 150 pounds he had some leakage around his eye which is turned into raw area underneath the eye and it's getting bigger

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pig's name and age?

My pigs name is ***** *****'s about five years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Earl?

He's a very happy pig his eyes themselves don't seem to be bothering him is just the area around the eyes

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has this been ongoing?

What color is the discharge?

Any changes to the eyeball (ie hazing, clouding, ulcer, damage)?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Earls I started looking GUI about five days ago I don't really see a discharge but when I take a warm wet rag and clean it it comes off reddish brown and has a slight bloody tinge . When he has a discharge from the eyes it's whitish. There are no changes to his eyeball .
Did you get the photos I sent

Hello again,

Now the reddish brown tends to be pigment/staining from amylase in the clear tearing from the eye. Though if you are also seeing white/opaque discharge that would raise concerns of not just eye irritation (ie allergies, from something in contact with the eye, tear duct blockage, etc) but also mild bacterial conjunctivitis. Furthermore, comparing the skin it looks like we have quite a bit of swelling and a moist skin dermatitis as a side effect of the eye.

With these in mind and given how delicate the eye and peripheral skin can be, we'd want to start supportive care. To do so, we can start by flushing the skin here as well as the eye with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution and used 2-3 times daily. After, we want to gently pat the skin dry and we can then use OTC Terramycin eye drops from your local farm supply for both the eye and skin (we want to use eye friendly antibiotics on this area since we don't want any non-safe ones getting into the eye). Use this twice times daily for 7-10 days and if he rubs the area then he may need an ecollar. Of course, if we see any haze on the eye or this lingers, then we'd want a check with his vet as we may need the tear ducts checked for blockage +/- further antibiotics to nip this in the bud for Earl.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.