Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 4 1/2 months old cat just ate 1 500 mg tab of

Customer Question
valacyclovir. Is this poisonous for...
My 4 1/2 months old cat just ate 1 500 mg tab of valacyclovir. Is this poisonous for him?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

How much does he weigh?

How is he just now?

15-20 minutes ago. Just over 4#. Seems fine.
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

it isn't clear to me why a new expert was requested. If you're waiting for Dr. B, instead, my apologies for entering this conversation.

Valacyclovir is uniquely toxic to cats. In one study of valacyclovir in cats when dosed at 27 mg/lb every 6 hours by the 6th to 9th days lethargy and dehydration were apparent. Histopathologic changes involving their kidneys were noted as well and so this antiviral drug isn’t recommended for cats. Your cat ingested a very high dose of 125 mg/lb. Inducing emesis with 5 mL per 5 lbs of body weight (4 mL for him...a bit less than a measuring teaspoon) with 3% hydrogen peroxide by means of an eyedropper placed between his cheek teeth and cheek can be prudent but peroxide isn’t reliably effective in inducing emesis in cats. If possible, it’s preferable to have a vet induce emesis with an injection of an emetic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.