Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My Cat Oliver has an open blister. As if you would have an

Customer Question

Good Morning Pearl: My Cat Oliver has an open blister. As if you would have an open blister. I've been putting Neosporin in the little blister hole but i think he keeps licking it out. How would you suggest i get the little blister hole to close? Thanks so much. Wayne
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Ollie,8yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: Not really,He's a happy kitty cat
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Hi Wayne! I am sorry you are concerned about Ollie. Where on his body is the blister?

Can you post a picture of it here?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

If it is an open wound or blister, it should heal. The Neosporin is a good idea; just keep him from licking for a few minutes after you apply it so it can be absorbed.

If it won't heal, there may be something in the hole that needs to come out, such as a splinter or foxtail (grass awn).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good Morning Rebecca: The open blister is on his side. He's an indoor cat.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Can you send a picture of it? How big is it?

I saw a cat recently with what looked like an open sore on her side that would not heal. It was an "eosinophilc granuloma" and healed up completely once we started her on prednisolone. We don't know why cats get these lesions, but they usually respond to steroids.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Rebecca: Thanks so much. Is there anything like a Band -Aid i could put over it?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

It won't really help and most cats just pull a bandage off. If you want to cover it you have to shave off the hair, so it will stick, but in my experience covering it does not help it heal faster.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
stick with the Neosorin? How long should it take to heal....Thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry: Neosporin
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

If it is an eosinophilic granuloma, it won't heal until she is started on steroids.

If it is an infection, I like mupirocin ointment but that is a prescription. It is safe to continue the Neosporin; if this is a wound or an infection it will heal. If it is an eosinophilic granuloma, it will need prescription medication.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know how he is doing and if you have any other questions.