Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat was neutered today at about 1pm. He was given

Customer Question

My cat was neutered today at about 1pm. He was given anaesthesia. He has been sleeping till now. Is that normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: He is 2yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: He was given Xylaxin.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, Xylazine is quite potent and does tend to cause dramatic sedation/anaesthesia in cats. Therefore, its not uncommon for them to be sedated and out of sorts hours after neutering. So, this isn't unexpected and you'd just want to monitor making sure his gums stay pink (not pale/white) and his breathing at 20-30 breaths per minute. If he wakes encourage him to drink to help flush this drug out quicker but if those parameters change at all or he remains sedated past 24 hours, then we may need his local vet to give IV fluids to just flush the drug out quicker.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**