Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

A swollen eye was getting better and today it is worse, 4 wk

A swollen eye was getting better and today it is worse
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 4 wk old kitten,
JA: OK. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: No name yet
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: Has been bottle fed and starting to Chen to canned kitten food. It came from the hay along with 3 others after Mom left them
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was hay attached to the outside if that eye when we found her
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and dexamethasone ophthalmic ointment USP sterile from my older cat in hand
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her eye
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ointment

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about this kitten; thank you for saving these little ones.

I am sorry you did not get help from a Just Answer expert until now; I just came online and saw your question.

Do not use this ointment in her eye. It contains dexamethasone and if the eye is scratched dexamethasone can make things worse. You can use an ointment that is antibiotic only (neomycin, polymyxinB without the dex would be one). You can get Terramycin over the counter in most states and that would be safe.

The eye looks so swollen, that she may need to be on oral antibiotics from a veterinarian if this does not get better.

Please let me know if this helps and what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I have a vet eye specialist I can take her to on Monday. I wil try the terramycin.

You are welcome. Please let me know how she is doing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. My vet took her in this morning and she received a antibiotic shot and we are putting eye drops in 4X a day. She is a trouper. She is staying w me. He said now we wait and see.

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows to credit me for assisting you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We will see. I believe the eye to be gone. She keeps getting food all over her until they are used to sharing food. My regular vet saw her and I still feel she needs a specialist.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good night for now

Can you take her to a specialist?