Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is 6 weeks old and is having slight diarrhea and cries…

Customer Question
She is 6 weeks...

She is 6 weeks old and is having slight diarrhea and cries while she is going

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Bailey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?

No . She's otherwise healthy to my knowledge I've only had her less than a week

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

What does the diarrheal look like?

Any sores, lumps or redness on or around her rectum?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

She just started showing symptoms when she uses the restroom... she does not exhibit any signs of pain or discomfort when I touch her belly. She has not eaten anything unusual , her gums are pink and moist. No sores or anything around her rectum. Diarrhea doesn't look too loose... it's a light brown color and slightly runny. She seems fine. Just cries when she goes to the restroom. It's pitiful.

Hello again,

First, I am glad she doesn't have those worrisome urgent signs I asked about, though I suspect the abnormal feces is scalding the skin or her colon is inflamed if we have this crying. So, we do want to be proactive for her here. Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (thankfully less likely for Bailey)

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

If that isn't enough to firm her stools, consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Since dehydration is a risk with diarrhea at her age, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, after she passes stool or at least 2-3 times daily, do wash the peri-rectal skin with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). OTC hydrocortisone cream can also be applied if there are any areas of inflammation (though we may need an ecollar or boxer shorts on her so she doesn't lick it off).

Overall, Bailey's signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle this for her. If she appears dehydrated already or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with fluids and antibiotics to nip this in the bud for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Sorry. I didn't see this.
She seems to be doing a little better.
Not as much crying when going to restroom.
Thank you!

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am so glad to hear she is more comfortable and hopefully if we can use the above for her we can get her crying totally settled. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.