Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My vet prescribed 50 mg Tramadol for my cat. Question how…

Customer Question
My vet prescribed 50...

My vet prescribed 50 mg Tramadol for my cat. Question how does tramadol stay in cats system? Second question cat not drinking water a symptom of taking tramadol?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?

My cat was jumping from a high place and missed the end table to land on and landed on her side. But she got up and ran. Later she was resting I tried pet her on her side and she acted like it hurt. The next day took her to vet he didnt find any broken bones just ruled a sprain

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Weight 13.2 pounds and age 6 year old and female cat named Girlfriend black gray striped

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

She has no interest in drinking water but is eating good

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

Last dose I gave was Saturday morning at 7am half pill

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear your cat hurt herself.

Tramadol lasts about 12 to 24 hours in cats usually, so it should be worn off by now. The recommended dose for a 13 pound cat would be 1/4 of a pill (12.5 mg) once to twice daily.

If she is eating, I am not too worried about her being dehydrated from not drinking. I can't find that not drinking is a side effect of tramadol. I expect she will start to drink on her own.

Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions I can answer.

I hope you were able to see my answer; how is your cat doing?

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.