Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My vet prescribed 50 mg Tramadol for my cat. Question how

Customer Question

My vet prescribed 50 mg Tramadol for my cat. Question how does tramadol stay in cats system? Second question cat not drinking water a symptom of taking tramadol?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?
Customer: My cat was jumping from a high place and missed the end table to land on and landed on her side. But she got up and ran. Later she was resting I tried pet her on her side and she acted like it hurt. The next day took her to vet he didnt find any broken bones just ruled a sprain
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Weight 13.2 pounds and age 6 year old and female cat named Girlfriend black gray striped
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: She has no interest in drinking water but is eating good
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: Last dose I gave was Saturday morning at 7am half pill
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear your cat hurt herself.

Tramadol lasts about 12 to 24 hours in cats usually, so it should be worn off by now. The recommended dose for a 13 pound cat would be 1/4 of a pill (12.5 mg) once to twice daily.

If she is eating, I am not too worried about her being dehydrated from not drinking. I can't find that not drinking is a side effect of tramadol. I expect she will start to drink on her own.

Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer; how is your cat doing?

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.