Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is sneezing a lot and her left eye is very goopy.

Customer Question
Hi my cat is sneezing...
Hi my cat is sneezing a lot and her left eye is very goopy. today when I got home from work it was gooped shut
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** she's 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dutchess?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

It sounds like Dutchess has an upper respiratory tract infection which is a viral cold.

When did the sneezing start? Do you know if she is eating and drinking as usual? Do you have any eye saline? You can use eye flush or contact lens saline if you have that.

it's been going on for about 2-4 days. she's been eating slightly less than normal but still drinking water, although I think slightly less of that too. she hasn't pooped and has only peed once or twice between yesterday morning and now. I do have contact solution.

Take a wet warm washcloth and hold that gently over the eye. That will loosen some of the debris and you should be able to gently wipe the debris away once it is moistened and softened. Then she should be able to open the eye.

After you get the eye open you can flush it with your contact lens saline.

I did do that with the wash cloth as soon as I got home. I've been wiping her eye whenever I see that it's getting very goopy.

It sounds like she is going to need an eye antibiotic. Unfortunately it is Saturday night so your only option is the emergency clinic.

I think you would be looking at an exam fee, an eye ointment charge, and possibly an antibiotic charge.

what about her sneezing?

I can tell you where you can order an antibiotic eye ointment online but it would take a few days to ship.

The sneezing is also part of the cold.

You can give her an over the counter human antihistamine like benadryl or zyrtec.

zyrtec-1/4 of a tablet every 24 hours.

benadryl- 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet every 12 hours

I think the Zyrtec is easier.

Keeping a humidifier in the room with her can help.

When you take a shower bring her into the bathroom and steam out her respiratory tract.

Add water or low sodium broth to her food to help increase her fluid intake.

A feline cold normally resolves in 7-10 days.

But with that much eye drainage it sounds like she at least needs an antibiotic eye ointment.

As long as she is still eating and drinking, active and up and around, and she is not having trouble breathing it is not really a true emergency.

I'll turn on my humidifier and give her a piece of benadryl because it's all I have on hand. can you give me a type of ointment to order?

Sure. Order "Terramycin" They have it at valleyvet.com and doctorsfosterandsmith.com

Do you have any other questions or can I be of further assistance?

no I think that's all for now. thank you so much it's been very helpful

You are very welcome. I should also mention if the cats can not smell the food they do not eat well. So warm the food up to make it more fragrant. You can also offer her human meat baby food that does not contain onions or garlic. The kind that comes in the little jars at the grocery store.

I soaked her dry food in warm water so hopefully that will help her be hydrated and also will make her smell it more.

Okay perfect. : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian