Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

On Monday, she ate a lot less than normal, which is 6oz of…

Customer Question
On Monday, she ate...

On Monday, she ate a lot less than normal, which is 6oz of wet food. Then, she started retching without spitting up a hair ball as she usually does. Retching on all Thursday night, so we took her to a vet Friday AM. They an ultra-sound which showed a small mass in her stomach which the vet said was probably a hairball. She is 14 years old and goes outside in the fenced-in back yard. Yesterday she ate about 4 oz of Hills' I/D as the vet thought she has IBS. Today she has not eaten and appears to only have had a little water. She did upchuck a decent hairball but nothing unusually large. Also, she did have a couple of hair mats that I cut off on Sunday. She is alert, but seems uncomfortable. Any ideas? We did call the vet who said we should bring her in if she doesn't drink water--her skin is NOT tenting, so we thought we would wait until tomorrow to do so. Also, she was active today--walking around outside and moving fast when called.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

The cat's name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Imari?

Nothing else comes to mind.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Imari has a chronic history of vomiting hair balls, but more recently she has not been eating and only drinking a little water. Your veterinarian performed an ultrasound and is suspecting a diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease. Is that a correct summary?

She did spit up a hairball today and now has spit up a bunch of yellowish to clear fluid.
OK. I was mistaken about the mass in the stomach. She does not have one, just a little thickening in the intestinal tract.
Dr. Perry, are you there? I was waiting for a phone call and did not see that you cannot get to a phone.
Also, we never give her petroleum hairball medicine as she hates it and then throws up. But, we are considering it as maybe it will clear out whatever is bothering her?