Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

On Monday, she ate a lot less than normal, which is 6oz of…

Customer Question
On Monday, she ate...

On Monday, she ate a lot less than normal, which is 6oz of wet food. Then, she started retching without spitting up a hair ball as she usually does. Retching on all Thursday night, so we took her to a vet Friday AM. They an ultra-sound which showed a small mass in her stomach which the vet said was probably a hairball. She is 14 years old and goes outside in the fenced-in back yard. Yesterday she ate about 4 oz of Hills' I/D as the vet thought she has IBS. Today she has not eaten and appears to only have had a little water. She did upchuck a decent hairball but nothing unusually large. Also, she did have a couple of hair mats that I cut off on Sunday. She is alert, but seems uncomfortable. Any ideas? We did call the vet who said we should bring her in if she doesn't drink water--her skin is NOT tenting, so we thought we would wait until tomorrow to do so. Also, she was active today--walking around outside and moving fast when called.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

The cat's name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Imari?

Nothing else comes to mind.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Imari has a chronic history of vomiting hair balls, but more recently she has not been eating and only drinking a little water. Your veterinarian performed an ultrasound and is suspecting a diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease. Is that a correct summary?

She did spit up a hairball today and now has spit up a bunch of yellowish to clear fluid.
OK. I was mistaken about the mass in the stomach. She does not have one, just a little thickening in the intestinal tract.
Dr. Perry, are you there? I was waiting for a phone call and did not see that you cannot get to a phone.
Also, we never give her petroleum hairball medicine as she hates it and then throws up. But, we are considering it as maybe it will clear out whatever is bothering her?
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian