Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 9-year old cat, who is semi-feral and hides most of the

Customer Question

My 9-year old cat Harry, who is semi-feral and hides most of the time (as a result is very overweight) attempted to jump up on my desk a few days ago, missed the desk and possibly hit his head (not sure about that), ran around in a frenzy, hid behind a plug in fireplace in our basement fireplace space and didn't come out for a couple of days. I put food and water there - untouched.
After a couple of days, (he urinated on himself and defecated on the carpet near him in the middle of the night, but did not eat) I moved the fireplace thinking I could get him and lift him into the carrier, but he got away. He ran around in another frenzy and went under a couch up the stairs in our family room.
That was Thursday. He did move under a staircase in the family room where he remains - not eating, urinating on himself a bit (his food, water and litter are near him and he is gated off from our three dogs).
He is in a position where we might be able to traumatize him into a carrier and take him to the emergency vet, but we may fail, as we have many times before (it's like chasing a greased pig).
For a while he barely responded - his tail was limp and he just never moved, only stared at me. He does not go to anyone else. Tonight he let me know pet him with my hand under the stair with him and the rest of my sitting outside (only two steps so he is pretty much enclosed). He finally purred....
I am at a loss as to what to do. I would not put him through any tests. I would only take him in to put him out of his misery and pain, if there is any - I cannot tell.
I don't know if his head was bumped, if he had a heart attack, a seizure or a stroke. I just don't know.
Do you have any insight at all for me?
Terri
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took him to the emergency vet last night and sadly put him down. I had no answers and no one to turn to.
I couldn't be more disappointed in this service.

I am so very sorry to hear of this. I'll be happy to contact customer service for you.