Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I took my cat to the vet last week Saturday for just a nail…

Customer Question
I took my cat...

I took my cat to the vet last week Saturday for just a nail clip ear wash and to take a look at why she seemed a little constipated. Nails were clipped ears washed out and a laxative prescribed. Two days later my cat began to be dizzy and by Wednesday could not walk and now by today absolutely can not walk and has to be held up in the litter box to pee. Has not pooped since Wednesday afraid to give her that laxative. We were referred to a specialist who did not want to pay any attention tot he fact the cat could not walk and wanted to focus on cancer kidney or liver tests. I have been reading about all sorts of cats who reacted to ear washing this way. i don't give a hoot about those other vets i want to know what i can do to help my cat regain her gait. These vets all seem like regular doctors where they dont want to say anything that might incriminate another vet -meanwhile who cares- it happens- now what do i do about it to help my cat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?

My cat can not walk..are you a robot or a real person?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the vet more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. What is the cat's name?

Baxter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baxter?

WE have all the anti nausea and appetite medicine we need and am administering subcutaneous rehydration once a day

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Where is my answer? Anyone there?
9/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now.

Can you share a video of Baxter's ambulation at this time?

Is he able to stand at all on his own?

Do you notice any head tilt, drooping eyelids, third eyelids showing or repetitive motion of the eyes?

none of those indications except head tilt..
Hi there are you an expert in kidney failure and ataxia? this is what the test results are telling the vets here just wanted to see if any other ideas would come from you..
like cleaning the system in spite of the kidneys not absorbing and processing..
that's about where we are today

Thank you for your response.

Is he able to stand at all on his own?

When was the kidney failure diagnosed?

kidney diagnosed late yesterday and reconfirmed on a second opinion today- what is ambulation? can not stand for more than 15-20 seconds

I apologize for the delay. I did not receive notification of your reply. Ambulation is how he's walking/standing. I'd like to see what you're seeing.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian