Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has a open skin wound not pass skin deep but just…

Customer Question
My cat has a...

My cat has a open skin wound not pass skin deep but just pink and raw she keeps licking it what should I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your cat bleeding a lot?

No bleeding but she just keeps licking it so it won't heal

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's 12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ginger?

She's just very timid around people she's like a one maybe two person cat

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/9/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Where on her body is the wound? What have you tried so far to treat it?

It's on her back leg and the only thing we've been trying to do is just keep it clean

Okay thank you

The first thing you will need to do is to buy a collar to prevent her from licking.

At petsmart I have seen the cone type collar as well as inner tube collar that you inflate around the neck.

www.bitenot.com is another good collar to prevent licking.

She will need to wear the collar for about 10-14 days.

The wound is going to itch as it heals.

Mix neosporin and hydrocortisone cream 50:50

Apply that to the area twice a day until healed to help fight infection and for itching.

Just to let you know when you first put the collar on a cat they commonly have a meltdown or a tantrum for a few hours. Then they usually stop. So keep it on her.

The neosporin and hydrocortisone are not toxic if she happens to get some in her mouth.

Does that plan make sense to you? Do you have any other questions for me?