Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has had pyothorax for nearly a month. Our vet has…

Customer Question
My cat has had...

My cat has had pyothorax for nearly a month. Our vet has been giving her antibiotics and removing pus from her chest weekly. She gets perky for the first few days then symptoms come back. Today the vet said there is nothing more to do. This is not the worst she has been. Is my vet giving up too soon? She has had 3 rounds of antibiotics now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

June. She is 16 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about June?

Early July she had a fever, was wheezing, had no voice and was "not herself". Without doing any tests, the vet gave her an antibiotic shot and she seemed fine for 6 weeks then got worse.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/9/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with June. There is more that can be done. Surgical management (thoracotomy) is indicated when a definitive cause is identified and retained in the thoracic cavity (foreign body or lung lobe abscess); when fluid is loculated within the pleural space (lavage can't access portions of fluid accumulations); when my patient fails to respond to intensive medical therapy (4-5 days of pleural lavage and antibiotics); or when Actinomyces bacteria are present (notoriously poor response to medical mamangement alone). Surgical management consists of aggressive debridement of the pleural space, removal of the underlying cause if identified, thorough intraoperative lavage, and postoperate intermittent pleural aspiration, lavage and antimicrobial therapy. June should be referred to a specialist surgeon for such intensive surgical management. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Annette,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?