Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dr, you recommended that I try giving my cat Liquitinic to

Dr John, you recommended that I try giving my cat Liquitinic to see if it would help with her iron levels. What dosage should I start out with? She was very anemic at one time and after a couple rounds of antibiotics she seems to have gotten a little better. She still licks rocks, dirt and eats litter and I am hoping this supplement will help that. Also she is on prednisolone and cerenia right now. She seems to be constipated. What can I do to help that?Thanks,Colin

Yes, I think Liquitinic would be a good idea. I would give 1 ml 2-3 times daily. That is the recommended dosage on the label. If she is straining to defecate often with little to no stool coming out, or if it is soft or diarrhea; I would give 1/2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin 1-2 times daily. If she is having hard stools, then I would use 1/8 of a teaspoon of Miralax daily. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Fluffernuts is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The liquitinic is in the mail and I still want to try and give her some pumpkin. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for checking in!

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Did the pumpkin seem to help Fluffernuts?

Hi Colin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fluffernuts. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hi Dr John,I have just started to give her pumpkin. the first spoonfull seemed to give here the runs but i ma hoping she will adjust. i am worried that she won't like it enough to eat it regularly... we will see. I am starting the Liquitic today as well. I will let you know.Thanks,Colin

Thanks for the update. If the runs continue, just back off of it. You can even give a little less. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
An update on Fluffernuts, she is deficating a little better, but she has either fluid of fat developing on her underside and especially down into her front legs. She has been eating a lot more than she used to but I don't know if fat would develop that quick?

It is possible you may see edema forming. Try pushing your finger into the area. If it retains the impression of your finger for a short period, it is probably fluid buildup, or edema. If still on the prednisolone, it is possible for abnormal deposition of fat to occur.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Dr. John. I just thought I should let you know that Fluffernuts (Little Kitty II) has since passed. Unfortunately it was her time. Thank you for all your help through this process.

I am very sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and your family. Let me know if you need anything else.