Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Glad your there! my cat has hair matted on his back, I

Customer Question

hi and glad your there! my cat has hair matted on his back, I didn't see it yesterday as I brush him daily, but was sticking together so I cut the hair that was matted and under the hair balls there was what looks like dandruff. I would like to know what this could be and I would be happy to purchase something from you. it worry's me as I love my cat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: no but he goes out and rolls in the dirt
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: no I adopted him 5 years ago and he has been fine
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about your guy. I always caution owners when they are using scissors to remove mats of fur from dogs and cats. I see the occasional case at my ER where the skin is accidentally cut in doing this. As far as this situation with your guy. That dandruff like material under that mat may just be some dander that has built up as he couldn't groom that area well while that mat was there. If there is no other areas of this flaking that you can find on him, chances are that he'll groom this are and as long as no mats are forming again, it will start to look like the rest of his skin / fur.