Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My cat is usually really sweet and cuddly ,but will turn and

Customer Question

my cat is usually really sweet and cuddly ,but will turn and bite hard enough to break the skin. and draw blood while cuddling. only on my arm.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sm
JA: How old is Sm?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is three years old , I have had him about two months. I got him from a shelter.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Smokey?
Customer: He is normally very affectionate and friendly.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....this is a very common problem....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

answer to come...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All I can see if this is a common problem ... what is the rest of the answer.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

so this is over stimulation aggression and is very very common.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

rest of answer is coming....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

the key with this is to pet your cat once or twice and then stop....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

this typically happens when a person strokes a cat for a bit and then they get over stimulated and will bite...

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I have rescued many cats and this is real common with rescues....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

The best way to handle is pet once or twice at most and stop for awhile otherwise you reinforce bad behavior.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

if this approach does not work then sometimes medication will be required but usually this can be managed with just changing how we stroke cats...

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

Can I answer any other questions for you?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

If you have additional questions, feel free to leave here as I would be happy to get back to you and I check my computer nightly. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will be sleeping or just talking on the phone and not touching him and he will bite.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I have seen that happen as well.......I don't like to hear that because that is a little tougher to deal with...if you don't mind me asking how old are you? Are you older?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I know this is a personal question but I see this more with older people than I do with younger people.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

With older owners of cats....I have often had to declaw these cats and file the very tips of their canine teeth to prevent them from hurting their owners.....and this has helped each time with this behavior....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

alternatively you can have your vet try fluoxetine and see if that helps with the behavior...

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I hope that helps you but do please let me know if you have additional questions as I check my computer every night and will be happy to get back to you...I will be back online tomorrow night. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B