Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is not really eating at all still wants to go out but…

Customer Question
He is not really...

He is not really eating at all still wants to go out but comes in and sleeps use to sleep with me now seems to sleep in other room still wakes me in morning to go outside

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Tigger he is about 12yrs or more

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Tigger?

12yrs or older had him long time

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tigger?

Seems to be losing weight but think that from him not eating this all just started about a week or two ago

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
keep in mind all these years he always slept in my bed with me latley in other room with blanket i put in there for him
im afraid to let him out anymore afraid he will die outside need help please what do i do ?
9/8/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did Tigger last eat normally?
2) Have any diagnostics been run since the onset of not eating, such as bloodwork?
3) Any vomiting or diarrhea?

wet cat food about a week ago little dry food pieces of people food here and there no vomiting or diarreah no blood work done in a long time
no vomiting or diarrahea last time he ate cat food about week ago he ate little people food but not much

Here are my concerns: When cats begin not eating their liver suffers the effects. This can result in a condition known as Fatty Liver Disease (aka Hepatic lipidosis) which can result in liver failure if not addressed. More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2135&aid=217 We may never know the original cause leading up to this, only that the symptom of not eating is extremely risky for cats and simply monitoring at home following the third day is typically even more risky. I would schedule some diagnostics at this time. Bloodwork to look at the liver values would be wise, but also to determine on the blood work if there are any additional concerns which might have originally been the cause of not eating. We can see medical concerns like liver disease, kidney disease, bladder infections, periodontal disease, etc. all contribute to not eating in any age of cat.

In the meanwhile, I would try enticing his appetite with KMR (kitten milk replacer) and pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is your companion today?