Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is 9 years old, over the last 2 weeks she gags

Customer Question

Hi, my cat is 9 years old, over the last 2 weeks she gags without throwing anything up. Almost sounds like something is stuck in her throat. Please advise.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I am aware of, She goes outside at times, I feel she ate something out there, maybe grass or something that is stuck.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Chloe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?
Customer: No, she is a little over weight, but only by 1 or 2 lbs. overall great health
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Chloe. Do you feel that she otherwise is eating and drinking normally? Is she still being her normal self otherwise?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she is. Still active and playful.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

That is good that she is still active and playful. One of the best things that can be done to figure this situation out is to try and video what you're seeing. With the smart phones out there now, getting a quick clip is much easier. Being able to directly see what you're seeing may hold the key for what is going on. She could be having a hair ball. If she's a longer hair cat, this is more possible. Short haired cats can have it too. Brushing on a more regular basis can help to reduce these situations if that is the issue. Could it be her reacting to something that she's eating / chewing on in the environment? Any new plants or treats or foods that may be at hand?