Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have been feeding my cats half of their food dehydrated

cat food (Honest Kitchen) and...
I have been feeding my cats half of their food dehydrated cat food (Honest Kitchen) and the other half kibble. I am worried that I may not have been adding enough water to the dehydrated food. Directions say 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup to add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water. I have been giving the two of them each day a 1/2 cup (1/4 cup each) but mixing that 1/2 cup of dehydrated food with only a 1/4 cup of water so it isn't soupy. They do have water available. Do you think I this did them any harm?
Directions say you can add slightly more or less water according to what cats prefer.
The Honest Kitchen representative says it is fine, that the suggested amounts are guidelines, and as long as there are no dry clumps. I always stir well and wait the 3 minutes before giving it to them, so I hope you agree this was fine. I was so worried I was setting them up for future dehydration and kidney problem
9/7/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi again, Joan.

This should not be a concern at all. The water serving is recommended but you can modify at any point so long as water is freely given. There should be no problem with the food being given as it has been and no increased risk for dehydration or kidney problems. This would not be the case if other water was not given. So long as the cats have had the opportunity to consume water in the volume they see fit there should be no concerns at all.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you! What a load off my mind!

You're so welcome. Always a pleasure to assist :)

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse