Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat is 15yrs old. He still eats like crazy, jumps on the

Customer Question

My cat is 15yrs old. He still eats like crazy, jumps on the bed and plays with the dogs. He used to be 18lbs and is now down to about 6lbs. What can I feed him to put weight on. You can see his bones. I am afraid he will break something with NO body fat.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Is he eating and drinking as usual?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

4- Has he been seen by a vet for this problem?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No pre exsisting. Eats and drinks normal
Vomits 1to 2 times a weak, but has done this his whole life.
Soft Stool, no diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Saran, I am sorry that Boo has lost so much weight. When a cat loses so much weight it is usually the result of an underlying medical problem, not a nutritional problem. So, increasing or changing his diet may not help. Common medical conditions in an older cat that would cause this much weight loss is hyperthyroidism (increased production of thyroid hormone), kidney disease, tumors, diabetes, etc. to name a few causes. So, we first need to find out exactly which of the above is the underlying problem and treat it. For example, if he is hyperthyroid he will need medication to decrease the amount of thyroid hormone; once this is normal he will gain weight. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, blood work (chemistry profile, CBC & T4) and urinalysis as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.
Hi Saran Key,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boo. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter