Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Has a thyroid problem. I was told to give him Sr. cat food.

Customer Question
Has a thyroid problem...

Has a thyroid problem. I was told to give him Sr. cat food. Having trouble finding. Thought I would make his food. He insists on a mixture that I thought could mix cat gragy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Babe and he is 11 or 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Babe?

Also some pancreatic issues. I have had health problems myself, and trying to find a way to cut costs and thought making his food might do that.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
9/8/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi Cindy. I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time? Can you clarify how I can best assist you? Are you needing help finding commercial food for him or direction on making food at home?

Both. I think making food would be cheaper. But I also have physica problems and come home from work tired. I needcto get him to see vet. Have not had the money. Another reason to make food. He does not like Max Cat. At least the veggies in them. Will leave them. He likes a gravy tadte and cannot find it eith pste or doft loaf. Why I was searching fpr a homemade gravy.

Thank you for the additional information.

It is often cheaper to make a cat's food, but I do want to mention that with both thyroid and pancreatic problems you may have a hard time finding a food that is useful, cheap and doesn't cause further medical problems. I would highly recommend that you reach out to http://www.balanceit.com to make a recipe for Babe. From there, you'll want to use either a food processor or immersion blender and fluid content to blend the food into a gravy-type food that he can drink. I am concerned with his preference toward gravy that he may also have periodontal disease that needs to be addressed medically before he'll eat solid, shredded or pate style food well again in the future. That said, you can always blend the food into a slurry to keep him eating.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Hi Cindy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is your companion today?