Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a black female 3 year old indoor/outdoor cat that I…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a black female 3 year old indoor/outdoor cat that I found light whitish small bumps on her ears (the back of the ears in the hair) ... both ears and one on her face. I saw her scratching today. None of the bumps are red or oozing. We have never seen any flea issues ( we don't treat for them). She had been doing a cough off and on the last 5 weeks. Was seen at the vet for that, nothing was found ( no temp, stools ok, lungs and heart ok). They didn't do an Xray. Assuming that is some sort of respiratory issue that will clear itself ( other cat was coughing too). Was wondering if you have a comment. I have some images ( not that clear but will give you an idea. Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Violet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Violet?

Not on any meds

9/7/2017
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

No, I am not a veterinarian.

Hi the main page when I initiated the question showed a Veterinarian with a dermatology backround. can I get one please
Why does the wording beside your name say "Cher" Cat Veterinarian???
I never got an answer , are you re-routing me to a Veterinarian?

Yes, I will 'opt out' and your question will be open to all other experts and Veterinarians.

I can't answer your second question, you would have to ask the website why that wording is beside my name. We have both Veterinarians and other cat experts answering questions. I have lots of experience and almost 23,000 customers that have been happy with my answers for the past 11 years on this site. However, I certainly understand why you are requesting a Veterinarian.

I hope all will be well with Violet!

Best regards,

Cher

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Cher for you. Those small bumps are most consistent with insect bite hypersensitivity. If biopsied, the bumps are likely to be small eosinophilic granulomas. The eosinophil is one of the white blood cells that proliferates in allergic skin disorders. This is prevented by keeping Violet inodoors but if that's not possible, she should be kept indoors during the dawn and dusk periods. Please note that the lesions of insect bite hypersensivity can mimic feline atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.), food intolerance, dermatophytosis (fungal infection), and the rarer autoimmune skin disorder pemphigus foliaceus. Cats that don't respond to simple confinement might be treated with low doses of prednisolone or investigated for other diseases. At this time Violet's skin condition is quite mild and further investigation isn't likely to be needed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thanks! Is there anything topical I can use to keep bugs off her when she is out? I appreciate your reply

Yes, a pyrethrin spray should be helpful. Be careful that you don't apply too much as cats are quite sensitive to pyrethroids and never apply the toxic-to-cats pyrethroid permethrin. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thanks so much.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.