Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I HAVE A 3 WEEK OLD KITTEN WITH A SWELLING AROUND HIS JOINT

Customer Question

I HAVE A 3 WEEK OLD KITTEN WITH A SWELLING AROUND HIS JOINT ON BACK LEG
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: HE IS AN ORPHAN I AM BOTTLE FEEDING. NO NAME YET
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: HE ALSO HAS WHAT LOOKS LIKE A FRONT DEFORMATION ON ONE PAW BUT NOT THAT OF A POLY
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of the back leg and deformed paw to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. If the swelling is "hot" it represents a bite wound abscess usually caused by the queen when moving the kitten.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's only red when touching. Just like a thickened area around bone. And the paw actually drained last night. There was no indication that it was a cyst but it looks normal this morning.

I'm having trouble orienting. What is it that's between your fingers, please? What drained from the paw - pus, serum, blood?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?