Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Took my 14 yr old cat in to the vet because she wasn't

Took my 14 yr old...
Took my 14 yr old cat in to the vet because she wasn't eating and she is drooling excessively, she did have an abscess or sore on her side, they gave her a pain shot and antibiotic shot. I keep her separated from the other cats when I am not home because they pick on her. But I am now not sure that it was from another cat. Anyway she ate after the second day or so but now has quit eating again. she is desperately hungry but still wont eat. took her to the groomer today thinking I could wipe out her mouth if her mouth was that bad. we gave her a bath just to clean up the dirty matted fur due the drooling. All we could see was what looked like white leisions under her tongue. The vet told me it would be $700 to clean her teeth but her teeth do not look that bad. I cant just sit here and watch her dwindle away???? But I don't have $700 either. Plus she is 14!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sloopy.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sloopy?
Customer: no not really. she is very easy going and not a fighter. a bit spooky and goes under the bed a lot unless I can get her to sit with me. I have a call in to the vet to see if I can get another round of antibiotics and some pain meds.
9/6/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. It is difficult to say for sure, but it is possible that those white lesions may be from oral cancer or an immune mediated disease called stomatitis. If it has been a couple of weeks since the antibiotic injection, I would repeat that. Otherwise, if the cleaning is not an option, and you want to just keep her comfortable due to her age, I would ask your vet about doing a steroid injection (should check blood work first to make sure nothing else is going on, like diabetes). That may help if it is cancer or an immune mediated disease. It may not last long in some cases, but it may keep her comfortable. An appetite stimulant may help as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Sloopy is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Thanks so much for your time and answer, after getting a second opinion and going several more days without her eating, I had to put her to sleep today. She had lost more weight and had a huge swelling on her tongue in the back.... it was time. thanks again.

I am so sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, it is a common occurrence with older cats. My condolences go out to you and your family. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian