Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Clear fluid coming out of my cat's anus. She has been on a

Customer Question

clear fluid coming out of my cat's anus. She has been on a gastrointestinal food from vet's for a year now as last summer she was constipated. requiring 2 trips to the vet's. She is not vomiting, she is eating all her food
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's 14 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emma?
Customer: She was considered overweight last year at about 11 pounds..actually the vet said she was obese! (my little Emma??). But she looks like she is a bit thinner..I've tried to reduce her food a it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Emma, please?

The clear fluid is likely to represent colonic mucus which when produced in excess indicates a colitis but not the cause of it. If Emma is otherwise well, there's no need to pursue the cause particulary because this is often a transient sign disappearing within a few days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.