Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 12 weekold kitten is seizing, or that's what it looks…

Customer Question
My 12 weekold kitten...

My 12 weekold kitten is seizing, or that's what it looks like, how do I induce vomiting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the kitten eat anything unusual?

We,re not sure, we didn,t see him eat anything but thought maybe he got some decon a neighbor might have used. hes lying in my arm convosling and is burning up. I have him lying on a wet towel

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

Gismo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gismo?

Hasn't had any shots yet we just got him 2 weeks ago, my brother just said he put flea medicine he got at the dollar store, said it was for cats and he only used 2 drops he thinks its hartz brand

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/6/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Gismo, please?

You must never induce emesis in a seizuring patient due to the risk of aspiration pneumonia.

d-CON causes uncontrollable bleeding 1-4 days after ingestion. This is seen in cats that ingest a poisoned rodent.

If the Hartz product contains a pyrethroid (pyrethrin, permethrin, e.g.) pyrethroid toxicity in the form of vomiting, agitation, tremors, and seizures can arise. There's no specific antidote. Treatment, if necessary, is supportive and symptomatic - controlling the seizures, e.g.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian