Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

She is older about 13 years of age. lost a tremendous amount

Customer Question

she is older about 13 years of age. lost a tremendous amount of weight in the last 6 months. drinks alot eats way more than she was. frothy urine far more and comes out very fast boring a hole like in the litter. she is also starting to have accidents. she never has had accidents before
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Callie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Callie?
Customer: she is spayed never has had kittens was feral until we tamed her and brought her in at about age 4 all tests were negative then and she never goes outside
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such profound weight loss coupled with polyphagia (increased hunger), polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyuria (increased volume of urine) are the hallmarks of both diabetes mellitus and hyperthyroidism and these disorders can be present concomitantly in a 13 year old. Callie's vet will want to perform a complete physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and you should know within 24 hours how Callie might be helped. Diabetic cats are insulin dependent. Hyperthyroidism is usually addressed with oral or transdermal methimazole. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.