Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is older about 13 years of age. lost a tremendous amount…

Customer Question
She is older about...

She is older about 13 years of age. lost a tremendous amount of weight in the last 6 months. drinks alot eats way more than she was. frothy urine far more and comes out very fast boring a hole like in the litter. she is also starting to have accidents. she never has had accidents before

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Callie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Callie?

She is spayed never has had kittens was feral until we tamed her and brought her in at about age 4 all tests were negative then and she never goes outside

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/6/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such profound weight loss coupled with polyphagia (increased hunger), polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyuria (increased volume of urine) are the hallmarks of both diabetes mellitus and hyperthyroidism and these disorders can be present concomitantly in a 13 year old. Callie's vet will want to perform a complete physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and you should know within 24 hours how Callie might be helped. Diabetic cats are insulin dependent. Hyperthyroidism is usually addressed with oral or transdermal methimazole. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian