Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat had its teeth removed about 4 months ago to treat…

Customer Question
Hello, my cat had...

Hello, my cat had its teeth removed about 4 months ago to treat stomatitis. He has been healing well but lately I've noticed a little bit of redness toward the front of his mouth and he cries out when he yawns.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

His name is Moby.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Moby?

Yes, he has some sort of allergy. My vet hasn't been able to determine what he allergic to but he has had asthma related to the allergy. He has been on special food but that doesn't seem to help, and the only thing that has improved it is steroid shots.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 2 days by:
9/8/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. Can you answer some additional questions for me, please?

Is Moby on any medication at this current time?

What all teeth been removed or have some been left?

What food is he consuming at this time?

Hi there, thanks for the response. He is not on any medication right now, although I do have a supply of medication on hand to treat his asthma if it were to return. All of his teeth have been removed. Half in January and the other half in March. Right now he is eating just hills z/d. By the way the inflammation is mostly located on the top and bottom of the very front of his mouth.

Does the inflammation seem to be causing him any problems with eating?

No problems I think, but it has been different. For the last few months he's eaten a mix of dry and wet food but I've noticed lately he doesn't eat much of the dry food and seems to only eat the wet food.

Did your vet recommend a switch to only canned food now that he has no teeth?

The vet said that I could feed him a mix of canned and dry food, but said that after cats have their teeth removed the ability to eat dry food varies from cat to cat.

That it does, but it can also slow down their progress in eating (and their desire) if their mouth is sensitive from inflammation and the hard kibble causes them discomfort.

I would recommend that you contact your vet and discuss using something to reduce the inflammation (perhaps a short course of steroids or similar) along with medication for discomfort like tramadol or buprenorphine. If the inflammation you're seeing persists, your vet may wish to try using atopica longer term and I would also give strong consideration to adding lysine to his daily regimen to strengthen the immune system and try to reduce the need for added medications in the future. This can also be helpful if viruses may be active and causing the inflammation such as herpes or calicivirus. This medication comes in both gel and powder form and is typically easily added into food: https://www.chewy.com/vetoquinol-viralys-l-lysine-oral-gel/dp/102542?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Vetoquinol&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjw_8jNBRB-EiwA96Yp1njHYOwLEiIO9DOEQs_txLh2J4s9j3s9xt9ZJHupfhgBFyNmM49rjBoCS8YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 250-500mg once daily is recommended. If it helps, it should be used from this point forward.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is Moby?