Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat vomitted about 10 times today, not at all. the

Customer Question

my cat vomitted about 10 times today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not at all. the regular food. this morning the vomit was pretty much yellow liquidy and in the afternoon after my cat ate wet food it was vomit with food in it but liquidy again
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Nusha, 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nusha?
Customer: no, very healthy cat, had it since she was a kitten. no issues with her health at all, indoor cat, very healthy diet..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are pancreatitis, gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting, the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do i give my cat a rice and chicken if she does not eat it regularly except her regular cat food?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Have you tried giving to her before?