Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a 17-18 year old diabetic cat that is now peeing on…

I have a 17-18...

I have a 17-18 year old diabetic cat that is now peeing on herself, the carpet, anywhere. I wonder if she has a bladder infection or if this is the beginning of the end such as kidneys shutting down??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the cat has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Miss Gray

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Not really. She has an appetite and is drinking water. Saturday evening I noticed some wet watery blood dripping from her butt but that stopped. Now she is doing the peeing. I can put her down on the couch beside me (I've started putting pee pads down) and the next thing I know she has peed a puddle.

9/5/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about these accidents with Miss Gray. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that her kidneys are shutting down. While chronic renal disease is something that can happen as a cat ages, I would look at the more likely scenario. You may have hit the nail on the head with the bladder infection question. Diabetics are definitely much more prone to them. Could one have gotten started and this is the outward sign of it? Yes. Could it be that she's needing her insulin dose adjusted up? Increased drinking and urination are signs that the diabetes may not be quite controlled as well as it could be. I would get an appointment with your vet and let them check her over with a urine evaluation to start off. Then go from there.

Thanks

No problem. I'm hoping for the best for Miss Gray! Give her a little ear scratching since I can't!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I will take her to my vet this week. Thank you

That sounds like a very good plan!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian