Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Couple days ago she started sneezing real bad runny nose…

Couple days ago she...

Couple days ago she started sneezing real bad runny nose clear today she is lifeless and no appetitie watery eyes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Jazzie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jazzie?

I don't know she is just laying around

9/4/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What color are her gums?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

When you say "clear today", do you mean that the discharge from her nose is clear, or she is not longer sneezing and having congestion?

How old is she?

gums look black she wont open wide enough no vomit or diarrhea no more sneezing yesterday it was running and clear she is approx 6
I really can not afford more then I have paid

Thanks. Are her gums normally black?

to be honest I don't know I never paid attention guess I'm a bad pet owner

No. Not the case. It sounds initially like she was developing an upper respiratory infection. If she is not sneezing or having congestion or nasal discharge today, it is not as clear cut. I would put that on the top of my list still, though. Without those symptoms, there are many, many things that it could be. Lack of energy and no appetite happen with pretty much any illness in cats. She may have swallowed something that caused an obstruction, a liver problems, a kidney problem, a toxin ingestion, pancreatitis, anemia, internal bleeding or trauma to name a few. My best advice is to get her seen by your nearest emergency vet. Cats are very good at hiding their illnesses, so when they start to show symptoms like this, it is usually more advanced than you would think. There really isn't anything that would be completely safe to give her at home, especially without knowing what the exact cause is. The only think would be 2.5 mg of Pepcid per 5-10 lbs of body weight. If she seems congested, try putting her in a room with a humidifier or in a bathroom with the shower on hot. Try to syringe her some water if you can. If still acting like this tomorrow, though, she absolutely needs to be seen. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
guess I should have just taken her to the emergency pet hospital

That would be a good idea if she really seems weak or lethargic. Let me know if you have other concerns.