Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Possible kidney stone? Sitting weird, licking genitals and…

Possible kidney stone? Sitting...

Possible kidney stone? Sitting weird, licking genitals and obviously uncomfortable

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Janowski is 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Janowski?

No, first problem we've had, obviously it's after vet hours at the moment

9/3/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Most important is whether or not Janowski is stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine. Please let me know.

He lives in the basement with my son, my son says yes, I haven't personally observed it though
I'm just wondering if I can give him some tramadol to keep him comfortable until I can take him to the vet tomorrow

Thank you for the additional information. I must encourage that he be attended to at your earliest convenience. When a male cat is stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine - and licks his genitals excessively, idiopathic cystitis (FUS, FLUTS) must be the most important consideration and this inflammation of the bladder can cause abundant amounts of both mucus and grit to form in the bladder which can ball up and form tiny plugs of material which then block the small diameter urethra in these male cats. This, then, describes the classic "blocked cat" and a cat that can't urinate for as little as 36 hours will go into renal failure. If he is blocked, he'll need to be catheterized and have his bladder emptied. The catheter is usually kept in place for 24 hours and then removed to see if my patient is now able to urinate freely. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Is tomorrow too late, he just started symptoms this afternoon

It could be OK but even if he weren't in imminent danger, he's unacceptably uncomfortable if he can't urinate. Tramadol could mask the pain but also mask how ill he had become.

Noted. Thank you for your help

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. May I have an update on Janowski, please?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?