Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Can my cat still have diahrea and be constipated? He is 5…

Can my cat still...

Can my cat still have diahrea and be constipated? He is 5 months old Savannah eating a mostly raw diet with air dried ziwipeak at times. He also has a clear odorless fluid or mucus dripping from his anus and has been vomiting. Still drinking and has a good appetite.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

No he is not big on treats or people food

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Loki

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Loki?

He has had diahrea outside of his box. And the clear liquid is drops

8/30/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Loki. The chances of a cat having diarrhea and being constipated is very, very unlikely. I have seen the very rare case at my ER where this is happening, but almost always there isn't constipation when there is diarrhea. They are typically straining with the diarrhea and they act like they still have material to get out, but it is just the diarrhea.

I am a RN BSN and a former vet tech. I have seen diahrea in people with stool impacted in the bowel. Bit I have seen a good bit of stool from him today. The clear liquid is occasional leakage definitely from the rectum. He seems otherwise fine. Could it be from gorging on his rich food? The raw he has now is duck with bone. Turkey and chicken heart. Same as last few weeks but he has been eating entirely too much ziwipeak and freezdried duck bits. Should I get him a less rich dry kibble to solidify his stool? Is there and remedy for cats diahrea I could give at home?
Is the 28 in addition to the 17 dollars
Do for the phone call and the txt it will be 46$ total? Or 28$ I can get an office visit for 35$
Can you answer my previous questions
The dry food he ate too much of was orijen mixed with ziwipeak air dried and vital cat freeze dried

Sorry for my delay as a case pulled me away.

I didn't say it was impossible to have diarrhea leaking around an area of impaction in the colon, but it isn't common by any means. I would have to be very suspicious that the stools could be like this due to the diet he's on. I'll be honest and say that I'm not the biggest fan of the RAW / homemade diets as there are so many good diets on the market now. Could the diarrhea be due to Giardia, coccidian or other intestinal parasites? These also have to be considered. Having a stool sample evaluated by your vet would be the way to screen for these.

Correction both of my Savannah cats are having diahrea his nrother thor just pooped on my suitcase. Should I hold the raw food or dry food?

If both are having the diarrhea, the diet or the possible other things I mentioned are in play.

They don't go outside ever and drink the same water we do. No fleas and have been wormed with revolution.

That is good that they don't go outside as that is where trouble can be found. Could they have picked something up from mom or harboring it prior to your getting them? Diet is going to be a huge suspicion here.

should I stick with orijen dry food with ziwipeak air dried or just plain orijen? Next what to do with all the raw food they have done well on it for 4 months should I use it is feed it to the dogs is cook it?
Clean bill of health at the time of neuter at the vet. I'm thinking diet and I want to feed them the best. To avoid urinary and thyroid issues. I just lost my cat of 17 years to kidney failure from hyperthyroidism 8 months ago

I would go to the plain Orijen as my vote. As far as the raw food, option there is to use it with the dogs as treats / supplement for their meals.

Raw or cooked for the dogs?

I would cook it. The RAW is just where there is that chance for salmonella, campylobacter, E.coli,k etc..

Should I also supplement the cats diet with some canned to prevent urinary issues. And can the cats have cooked cat food? If it's bacteria should I get them antibiotics or just let it run its course?
The raw is just so expensive to cook and feed to the dogs. What a waste.

The theory behind the wet versus the dry is trying to get more hydration into them to help with flushing the kidneys. It would be ok to supplement the cats with the wet as that is what I do with mine. The cats could have the RAW cooked as it would be less likely to have the bacterial issues with it. If the stools are getting better with the dietary changes and they are doing well, then it wouldn't seem that the antibiotics are needed.

Btw we butcher and clean grind our own quail and chicken. To grocery store meat. The last batch was from hare today gone tomorrow.

It sounds like you're putting in a lot of care with the diet preparation that you're doing for them. Your previous cat that had the hyperthyroidism and the chronic renal disease at that age of 17 - that isn't due to you're feeding a poor diet. I would consider doing what you did for that one for these two.

Ok there is no blood in the stool but duck is high in fat they may have developed settorrah in theory cooking the raw will cook off some fat. Then they could have some. I could boil it to give them a more of a bland diet for the time being
That makes me feel good brings tears to my eyes. I only feed him quality dry food for 17 years with a water fountain or two around.

That extra fat in the diet could cause steatorrhea. Cooking off the fat and draining it will reduce that in the rest of the meat. Getting that previous one to 17 is doing pretty darn good. Unfortunately, some just have kidneys that aren't going to hold up long, long term.

You have put my mind at ease these two very expensive cats are going to last me 20 years. That's my goal anyway. I will try to send a photo of the brothers. Is there anything to firm up there stool for now? I can't attach a photo.

I would love to see these two handsome guys! Time may be the needed factor with the diet change for firming up the diet. I like to use metronidazole in these cases to help expedite the firming of the stools.

How about Metamucil? I can't send any pictures unfortunately they are too big file size.
You can look me up on Facebook sheree Gruber I have posted many photos of my Savannah boys. Thank you so much. I will follow your advice. Can you prescribe some metronidazole for me to get somewhere like Wal-Mart?
Not sure if your still there? Can you prescribe some metronidazole for me to get somewhere like Wal-Mart?
If not how much kaolin pectin for 10lb cats
Thank you I looked it up 2.5ml kaolin pectin

Unfortunately I can't prescribe anything as I haven't physically seen them / done an exam on them / established a client / pet / vet relationship. In the drug formulary, it lists kaolin / pectin in dogs / cats for loose stools as 1 - 2 mls per kg orally every 8 hours.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?