Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Scabs on centre back of cat. She cannot reach. Rescue from

Customer Question
dirty environment. Sheds A lot of...
Scabs on centre back of cat. She cannot reach. Rescue from dirty environment. Sheds
A lot of hair. Otherwise, healthy, large female. best food . Indoor only. Had litter.Now
Neutered. Feisty disposition . Have owned 3 yrs. great companion for elder owner. How
To rid her of scabs which cause local hair loss?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, My name is***** am just reviewing your question and will be back with you shortly.

My first concern with your pet would be determining the underlying cause of the skin condition. Typically when cats develop a dermatitis described as scabs there are 3 main things that I consider. 1. Fleas 2. Food allergies 3. Environmental allergies.

I know it might seem unlikely, but indoor cats can get fleas especially if there is another pet going in and out. Fleas can typically be found at the base of the tail. I do not recommend using any off brand flea products as many are toxic to cats. Stick with the brand names such as frontline and advantage. Many cats are allergic to fleas and will develop scabs.

Second, Indoor cats can develop allergies to food and so you may consider transitioning to a limited ingredient diet such as duck/potato for example. There are specialized diet that can also work and I can help you with that if interested.

Finally, environmental allergies. These can be tricky.

The best advise I think that I could give you if it is really bad, especially because allergies are complicated, would be to take her in for an exam. Often the vet can determine the underlying cause and if she needs an antibiotic injection for infection (which scabs are often a sign of infection) and steroid injection of itchiness if they so feel necessary. These 2 things often will given a cat great relief.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. I would be happy to help you.

Dr. Nicole

Hello! I wanted to check in again and see if you have any questions. I also wanted to add that there are many other flea products available that are safe, but should be purchased through your veterinarian.

Unfortunately without seeing the pet, it is difficult for me to advise you to use anything topical or systemic. Plus cats are often very difficult to medicate and do not like having topicals applied to the coat.

Again, Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

If this has been going on for some time and the pet is quite uncomfortable, it is often easier to have her examined and treated before the problem gets considerably worse.

If I have answered all of your questions and you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated.

Please do not hesitate to get back to me with further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Hello again!

I just wanted to follow up with you and see if you had any additional questions.

I hope that things are going well.

Thanks,

Dr. Nicole

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian