Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He has spots around his ears and on skin around his ears. It…

He has brown spots...

He has brown spots around his ears and on skin around his ears. It was red for a couple days and I put triple anti-biotic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Zubin. It's now not as red, but brown spots remain. I'm reading this may mean a yeast infection. Lotrimin?

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections Zubin can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zubin?

He was just boarded at the vet's for a uti issue. He's had lots of anti-biotics, both by shot and baytrel in his food.

8/26/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Are the spots raised or can they be washed away?

Any other changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?

Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?

What flea treatment did you use? When did you last apply it?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

When I rubbed triple anti-biotic ointment on the area, the spots didn't appear to wipe away. I don't have a smart phone so I can't text you a photo. The area at first looked like it had been scratched or something, then it got very red for a day or two. Now it is less red but the brown spots are visible. He is an indoor cat, so I don't use any flea treatment. He may have caught some fleas while being boarded for his uti problem, I don't know. Because of his recurrent uti problems, I have just this week switched him to wet/canned cat food only. He's not eating much and appears to be sulking about not having his dry kibbles.

Hello again,

Now yeast can cause brown discharge on the skin, so that should have wiped away. As it didn't, this is more likely to be hyperpigmentation. This arises in the wake of irritation/inflammation to the skin. The brown color is due to melanocytes responding to that irritation by producing more melanin (it is akin to our melanocytes making more melanin when our skin is being 'irritated' by the sun) which makes the skin dark or black. This is non-painful and while this tends to be permanent it doesn't tend to cause any issue. So, we'd not be overly worried about this as long as the redness has settled. Though if that comes back or the skin darkens more then you may need to consider a diet change +/- antihistamine (ie Cetirizine 5mg for a cat once daily) as both could be a reaction to a sensitivity to something in his diet.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

OK, that's comforting. So, just to be clear, now that the area is no longer red - and it was scarlet red just 36 hours ago or so - I don't need to keep applying triple anti-biotic ointment to a hissing cat, correct?

Hello again,

As long as the reddness has settled, you don't need to use any more ointment for Zubin and can just monitor.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Well, it turned out to be a flea bite related allergic reaction. (The brown spots did wipe away, but not easily. They were almost like scabs.) Zubin got a steroid shot and a his first dose of Cheristin. He's quite healthy and playful today.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian