Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

I wanted to talk to a veterinarian or maybe to veterinarians

I wanted to talk to a veterinarian or maybe to veterinarians for opinions. I have to spay my dog, however I just don't know how I'm going to bring myself to do it with all of the controversy and new research about the cons of Spaying. I'm hoping to get some sort of opinion on well for example they don't spay in Norway and Swedish countries unless medically necessary. Anyway that's what I wanted to talk about and I won't say anything more until I hear from somebody thank you.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What breed of dog are you talking about? How old is your dog?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm taking about a sheltie that is 11 months old. I noticed however you are A cat veterinarian. I'm sorry I should've asked for a dog veterinarian? So I don't know whether you can help me or not I'll wait for your answer

Yes I can help you . Not sure why the website is showing me categorized as a cat veterinarian, but I do work with both cats and dogs exclusively.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh anyway first question as you can see originally I asked for just opinions from one or two veterinarians that I hope can help me just put my mind at some sort of keys as to what I have to do. I got this little sheltie when she was 10 months old and she's 11 months now I'm on on track to spay her. I just don't see how I can get myself to do it with all the controversy and you information that's out there right now. The fact that Swedish countrues don't stayunless it is a medical emergency.I just wanted to know how you are a veterinary out there feels about all of this controversy. I mean there are possibly more cons then pros to Spaying. What would your opinion be about all of this? I am just worried sick about it and I am afraid this is going to interrupt her life and just wrecked her and how can I do this to an really healthy dog. As I say I'm just looking for opinions from knowledgable veterinarians
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's mind at ease about all of this. For spelling mistake this texting is hard sorry

Okay I am working on your answer bare with me it may be a long response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Gee,I meant to say I was on contract to spare
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you so much. I'll wait

It seems like the contraversy on spaying dogs comes from 2 main papers that indicated that a group of dogs that were spayed or neutered later on in life were more susceptible to certain illness such as cruciate ligament disease, certain cancers, and certain hormonal diseases. However the studies were done on large breed dogs who are susceptible to those diseases anyway compared to other breeds. Many people have misinterpreted those results in some ways because they did not realize that the results just recommend those who don't plan to breed their females just to spay at a later age after one year of age because those studies showed that there was not a significant increase in disease in those breeds of dogs After one year of age. So I usually recommend to clients who have large breed dogs who they are not breeding that they spay after a year of age if possible. Another thing that those studies did not measure was the possible problems that occur in unspayed dogs. I have dealt with many issues of dogs having an infected uterus that is an emergency that could easily be avoided if the dog is spayed. Also mammary tumors are also common in unspayed females. I just recently performed a 5 hour surgery removing a very large mammary tumor from an unspayed 11 year old German Shepherd. So with your dog being a small breed and almost 11 months old I would definitely recommend getting her spayed since she is less likely to experience those above medical conditions and to avoid mammary tumors and an infected uterus.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think the problem of obesity (hypothyroid) spay incontinence change in coat, it the higher risks of cancer are any of theses cause for concern. I am so afraid that this will interrupt her life and change her in some way. She is a very chill and layered back dog.

She is a beautiful dog by the way. As far as obesity, I tend to see that more when female dogs are spayed at a younger age like around 6-8 months so she is less likely to have that issue. As far as the higher risk of cancer, as I mentioned that those studies only showed that relationship in large breed dogs like the Rottweilers and Golden retrievers. There was not a clear link in the smaller breed dogs like Shelties. Hypothyroidism is not a major risk at all with the surgery and even if it did occur it is much easier to treat then if she ended up with an infected uterus or mammary cancer which has more consequences then hypothyroid based on my experience. I have never had a dog that I diagnosed with hypothyroid have a near death experience. But i have dealt with many dogs that have died from an infected uterus because they were not spayed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
for sure. You are right about the pyometra. I don't want that to ever happen to my little dog. Do you think the dogs know what's happening to them? I mean will this change her at all. I am so scared of taking her in a perfectly healthy Little dog. I am so worried that this will change her. But of course on the other hand like you say the pyometra is probably the number one thing that I need to get to my mind at least I am preventing. Yes I had a dog that got an open pyometra. It was a ugly stuff that was coming out of her she was 10 and then I had her spayed. I'm sorry that I may be repeating myself, but I am just so scared to take her in and hand her over to be spayed. Like I say well she forget or not know what's happening.also do you usually see them recovering pretty fast. Do the stitches normally rip open if I'm not careful with her
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh yes, and I want to do add, I am getting her spayed when she is going to be 15 months. In your opinion is that a good age. She has had her first heat at 10 months, and I guess I don't want her to go into another heat

I definitely understand your concern about getting her spayed. Spays and neuters are probably the most common surgery I have done . I probably have done well over 1000 of those surgeries during my career as a veterinarian. Majority of dogs do well and act the same of a few days of recovery. Most surgeons don't place stitches on the outside so there is not need for an suture removal. Yes it is advised that you keep them quiet for the first 10 days if possible but I don't see too many issues with them open up their incision from activity. The most common issue I see is if they decide to lick at the area so that is why it is important that they have a cone on

Okay yes 15 months can be a good age the only thing I would be concerned about is since she already had her first heat at 10 months of age there is a possibility that she could go into heat again around that 15 month range . Usually dogs can go into heat every 6-9 months. So at 15 months that makes about 8 months since the previous heat cycle.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh yes OK I never thought of it that way. She had her first heat July 10, so if I wait until November 10, then that would make her 14 months, and she would have had her heat for months ago at that time. I have until December 31 on my contract and I just want to give her as much time as possible. Now I just want to tell you I'm trying to rate you but it doesn't seem to want to let me, and I can't see where I can do this, but I will keep trying and I really thank you for all of your advice.

You are very welcome. Thanks for the rating. Looks like you figured it out. I think anything after 12 months should be fine you may just want to have her examined just prior to the surgery (within a few days) so they can determine if she is in heat. Because if she is it can make the surgery more challenging and risky and it is recommended you delay that surgery if that is the case.