Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Rash on cat's neckline. My cat has some scabs with a lot of…

Rash on cat's neckline. My...
Rash on cat's neckline. My cat has some scabs with a lot of brown dandruff type flakes attached to his fur / skin. It is at a couple of points on his neck possibly where his collar would sit. I have removed his collar in case this cause irritation. I'm wondering if it is a fungal infection or something else
8/23/2017
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

This can be a sign of an allergy, a skin infection or a flea problem. Has Elaine had any flea treatment recently?

Hi, I tried putting spot on, on Cole a little while ago. He managed to lick some of it and started hypersalivating which scared me. I washed his fur then to make sure he didn't lick the spot on again. That was 2 weeks ago. I have not applied spot on since

Have you seen any sign of fleas?

Those areas of irritated skin and dander are small scabs. It is simply a sign his skin is irritated and is likely as a result of him scratching. Fleas are the most common cause so good flea treatment coverage is very wise. Most of the spot on treatments will cause hypersalivation if licked. It is best to apply them right at the back of the neck so that they cannot groom it.

Hi Richard, I didn't see any sign of fleas, looked for flea droppings and didn't see them. However, I can try another flea treatment to rule it out

That would be worthwhile, to rule fleas out of the equation, they can be difficult to see on a black cat!

Has he had trouble with his skin in the past? Any diet change recently>

No trouble in the past, no significant diet change. I alternate food brands but have been feeding him the same things since I got him

Not likely to be a food allergy then. I would focus on getting a reliable flea treatment applied and see how he goes from there. If the skin irritation persists, then it would be worth having your vet take a look as he may need antibiotics to settle down a secondary skin infection.

Richard Rawling
Hi Elaine,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Elaine Hickey. How is everything going?
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling