Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 4 years old female neuteerd indoor cat has been peeing

only once a day since...
My 4 years old female neuteerd indoor cat has been peeing only once a day since 4 days.And since yesterday morning she hasn't peed for about 32 hours.She has no diarrhea,no vomiting ,no constipation.The weather is hot but she is drinking water as usual,she has access to fresh water in many places of the house and she is eating wet cat food (plud a little dry food) twice a day.Two dasy ago I began to add a tea spoonful of water to her food too.Apart from this she seems fine.She has gfood appetite, she walks, she plays.She does not seem to have any pain,her breath is fine.I would like to learn what should I do.Should I wait or see a vet immediately.She is very stressed when she goes to the vet clinic.Thanks a lot
8/23/2017
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about your cat not urinating as much as usual. Is she sitting in the litter box, straining as if she is trying to urinate? Or are you just not seeing urine in the litter?

Is it possible she is urinating somewhere else?

If she is eating and drinking, she is making urine. If her kidneys had shut down, she would be sick, vomiting, not eating.

If she is eating and drinking, not vomiting, and acting her normal self I am not too worried. If you want to know more, a veterinarian could feel her bladder to see if it is enlarged, painful, or in any way abnormal. He or she could extract urine for a urinalysis to be sure there is no infection, etc. in her urine.

You could continue to observe her. If there is any possibility of her urinating somewhere other than the litter pan, you could confine her to the room where her litter pan is to see if she urinates in it. If you get really worried, you do need a veterinarian to feel her bladder by palpation of her internal organs.

As long as she is eating and drinking, she is probably OK. Please let me know if this helps, and what other questions I can answer.

Thank you very much for your answer.I was worried for an acute kidney failure.I am always at home with her and following her when she goes to another room ,and I have checked all the house to see whether she pees somewhere else but there is no urine anywhere in the flat.She does not go to her litter box to pee and she does not pee somewhere else other than her box.Before 4 days she used to pee around 3 times now there is no pee since almost a day and a half.Is there antthing I should do at home? What can be the reason?Kind regards .
I clean her litter box often.And it is her usual litter , litter box and place..And there is nothing at home to cause a stress for her

You are welcome. If this were acute kidney failure, she would be a sick cat.

I don't know the reason for her urinating less. I would need to examine her, and do a urinalysis to try to figure that out.

Stress in cats can be hard to recognize. We think they must be stress free, since they have no worries and sleep a lot. Stress can come from not being able to hunt, to catch and kill prey. It can be from seeing cats outside the window.

If this continues, a urinalysis is the place to start.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
thank you very much

You are welcome! Thanks for the great rating.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian