Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Meadow Hill's
98574077

He has Megacolon, he is a 14 year old cat that cannot poop

He has Megacolon, he is a 14 year old cat that cannot poop without an using Anemas
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sammy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammy?
Customer: No, he's a little over weight, declawed.

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Is Sammy on any sort of special diet recommended by your veterinarian?

Is Sammy on any medications or supplements for this disorder?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he has special food and takes 15 milligrams of Cisapride, with Lactulose syrup on wet food. He's getting worse, the only way he poops is with an enema twice a week. The Vet suggested a operation to take the colon out, I was uneducated in that procedure. The surgeon did not explain it to me, I thought it was weird to do something so extreme. I got a second opinion and sammy started to pool again for a couple years.I took him to a new vet, she told me that he has a dead spot in his intestines, which makes it hard to pass the poop. Now I don't know if this can be removed, I am curious, maybe look into a second opinion. At least let someone else to read the ex-rays. He could be a candidate for the operation?The Vet did not give me any options, she told me to call he in two weeks and she could prescribe so Steroids. He is happy as a clam, you would never know anything is wrong with him. The Vet said his teeth are great, I got him at the SPCA, his age is unknown, I think he could be as young as 8 or as old as 14.

Glad he is on cisapride, that is the mainstay for this condition. Lactulose is a good call as well.

That surgery is not one routinely performed by general practice veterinarians. You'll want a specialist to that type of surgery, if he is a candidate. Given your interest in this at this time I'd suggest bringing it up with your current veterinarian, and request a referral to a surgeon that you could discuss it with. This is not without risks of complications, and you might decide you'd rather continue management.

Diet modification with added fiber could be considered. Stool softener could be considered. Lactulose dosage and/or frequency change could be considered. Enemas should be continued. Other promotility agents could be tried, such as metoclopramide, but cisapride really is the best for this condition, and unfortunately a lot of these cases are simply difficult to manage medically and take a lot of work on the owners part as you're experiencing.

Steroids wouldn't be the first thing I'd reach for here personally, unless I was suspecting a component of inflammatory bowel disease for example.

Risks of surgery increases with age. His overall health should be taken into account when considering a major surgery like what you're asking about. This will be part of the discussion. You also need to discuss long term complications of this surgery that will be anticipated, even if it goes well. Lot's of things to consider, and if you're seriously considering a surgery these are best all discussed with a board-certified surgeon to get their opinion.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions about Sammy, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.