Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat had surgery for stomatitis on Friday and she is

Hi, my cat had surgery...
Hi, my cat had surgery for stomatitis on Friday and she is lethargic. I am not sure what to do next. She went to the vet today and they gave her pain killers but I am afraid she could have a complication
She had full teeth removal, She became lethargic on Sunday, and pain and inflammation medication did not help today . She is on Convenia, Onsior and Buprenorphine ER
8/21/2017
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to hear about MooMoo. This procedure is pretty common for young cats with severe stomatitis, and it can take a good couple of weeks for cat to recover. Is she eating anything at all? And drinking ok?

Dr E

She looks like a zombie. She is making a gurgling sound. The Dr heard that but after auscultation she said it does not appear to come from her lungs
she ate a little this AM but not again
I dont want to call, I prefer to type

No, a gurgling sound is more likely from her throat or pharynx and could be from excessive drool due to pain. Is she very responsive to you, and is she up and about walking? How is her thirst?

That suits me as well. No problem at all.

She is a bit responsive but not normal at all. She is in a crate right now, and she is not walking.

Ok, for now, please keep an eye on your girl's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Let me know how you get on.

Can you explain what you are testing for in the examples above? The color of the membranes for example. If they are white or pink, or red, what is the meaning of it?
what could be happening to her in the examples you gave
the third I take could be pneumonia

This tells us tissue perfusion to help us understand if she is able to breath and oxygenate her blood appropriately. Let me know how they look.

Dr E

Dr, her mouth is open, and her tongue is out. No rapid breathing
before the surgery, her tongue used to be out. I dont think her mouth was so open though

Is she panting with her mouth open? Are her pupils constricted or dilated?

she is not panting as far as I can tell. I will check her pupils

Thanks.

her pupils are dilated, but it is getting darker here. It is 8:30 PM EST

When did she last get her pain relief? Did you give her the usual dose?

She went in the AM to the vet and got Onsior one tablet and Buprenorphine ER injectable

Try and offer her a little food and water now if you can, and let me know if you can convince her.

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Poor girl - she looks quite painful still! Is she pawing at her mouth at all?

she is not pawing at her mouth. At least not at the moment
I will check about the water and food

Ok, that's great. I will wait to hear from you.

she does not want water or food. And she is drooling big time

Ok - poor girl! I'm replying now and will be with you in 5 - 10 minutes.

Dr E

Hi again Yasmin,

Thank you for your patience. Moomoo's symptoms are a real concern, and while we see these symptoms to a degree normally after this type of procedure, it symptoms are quite bad here. The combination of being of food and water, as well as drooling excessively is a sign of pain here. As such, I really would encourage you to get Moomoo back to your local vet. She will be best managed in the vet hospital over the next few days if that is possible. Here she can have IV fluids along with IV pain relief, and if she continues to refuse food, they can place a feeding tube.

I am definitely of the opinion she is better at the clinic straight away, so if you can get her to your local vet again now (if they have overnight care and monitoring) that would be the best plan. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Moomoo. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian