Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

The vet prescribed me some meds and the nurse explained to…

The vet prescribed me some...
The vet prescribed me some meds and the nurse explained to me that some of the meds should be given with food and some without (she was specific while I was there). Unfortunately, now that I'm home, I don't remember exactly which one was which in regards to "with or without food". I'm hoping that you, as a vet, can help me out with this if I give you the medicines' names and dosage. There are five. (1) Bebe Bac Pet Gel 15gm (probiotic0-30I), says 2 gr by mouth once a day until finish. (2) Amoxicillin 100 mg Tablets, give 1 tablet orally every 12 hours for 7 days. (3) Metronidazole 250 mg, give 1/2 tablet orally once a day for 6 days. (4) SAMeLQ-100 Chewable Tablets, give 1 tablet once a day for 30 days (this is the only med that specifies meals) Tablets should be given on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before meal. (5) Rebound Recuperation Formul Cat, give 33 mL once a day. I'm needing a response ASAP as I'm supposed to start his treatment today. Thank you.
8/21/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your medications and type my response.

Give all the following WITH food:

1. Bebe Bac Pet Gel (probiotics)

2. Amoxicillin

3. Metronidazole (this pill is quite bitter tasting, so I recommend putting it in a meatball of canned food before giving it, to disguise the flavor)

As you know, give the SAMe 1 hour before feeding.

The Rebound Recuperation Formula is a nutrition supplement that you can give at any time during the day.

Best of luck to you and Ikus.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian
Wow, great response. Thank you so much for the info and your kindness!