Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Stopped eating, losing weight, sleeping all the time,

Stopped eating, losing weight, sleeping all the time, sneezes quite a bit.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Rocky, 10
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Rocky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?
Customer: He had a history of bladder stones and was eating prescription food. We changed him to a grain free food back in March and he was eating just fine. When we noticed these changes this week we switched back and he ate for a couple days and has seemed to stop again.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Rocky. I believe that there's more than one thing going on at this time. Sneezing as you've described is usually due to the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) which is expected to go into remission within 1-3 weeks unaided. This virus comes out of its carrier state when my patient is stressed - medically or behaviorally. His anorexia, weight loss, and somnolence (sleepiness) is likely to represent a disorder that has stressed Rocky. While those are important symptoms, they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Rocky's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including fasted diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in an attempt to clarify why those symptoms have arisen. I would not be satisfied being told that he has a "cold" and to continue monitoring him. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.