Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Stopped eating, losing weight, sleeping all the time,

Stopped eating, losing weight...

Stopped eating, losing weight, sleeping all the time, sneezes quite a bit.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Rocky, 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Rocky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?

He had a history of bladder stones and was eating prescription food. We changed him to a grain free food back in March and he was eating just fine. When we noticed these changes this week we switched back and he ate for a couple days and has seemed to stop again.

8/21/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Rocky. I believe that there's more than one thing going on at this time. Sneezing as you've described is usually due to the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) which is expected to go into remission within 1-3 weeks unaided. This virus comes out of its carrier state when my patient is stressed - medically or behaviorally. His anorexia, weight loss, and somnolence (sleepiness) is likely to represent a disorder that has stressed Rocky. While those are important symptoms, they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Rocky's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including fasted diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in an attempt to clarify why those symptoms have arisen. I would not be satisfied being told that he has a "cold" and to continue monitoring him. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian