Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a female maine coon rescue. She, she's about 13-14 yo

I have a female maine...
I have a female maine coon rescue. She
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the maine?
Customer: she's about 13-14 yo now and has been healthy until two months ago when she started vomiting-Not hairballs- and not eating. Blood work and sonogram -- a liver tumor "with rough edges" was the diagnosis and I couldn't afford more biopsy as even surgery wouldn't Cure her. SO she responded well for a few weeks of prednisolone and cerenia until I began to titrate down. I've ordered more of the liquid formulary but am not sure if I'm just prolonging her discomfort as she's done little eating and has been hiccuping & lethargic for the last few days. oh dear what do I do? Let her go?.
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the maine?
Customer: She had tests done years ago for her heart before teeth pulled under anaesthetic but the heart issue wasn't bad. I can't afford more than meds at this point as I'm a senior and also I don't want her to suffer.
8/19/2017
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Sorry to hear about your maine coon. Is she losing a lot of weight?

She had lost a few pounds by the time she saw the vet. She gained some since being on prednisolone .5 liquid formulary for 14 days and since titrating to every other day for the last week she's eaten much less. She has also grown a growth on her right side of her rib cage.

Okay thanks for the additional information. I definitiely understand how difficult it can be to see you beloved pet ill. Usually when my clients as me about when it is time for their pets I usually have them look at the quality of life. Quality of life can be measured by whether they have stopped doing their favorite things such as sleeping in a special place, greeting people or other animals, etc. If she has stopped doing things like that then that may be an indication that her quality of life is not well. If that is the case then it may be time to let her go especially if there is no cure for her illness.

I had also been titrating the celenia .25 to 2 x week. Should I be continuing the meds at all? I know she won't recover, but I don't know when to let go. ugh. so hard.

I would keep the cerenia the same to see if it would help her get her appetite back or any other meds that she is on to see if she will respond at all. If she doesn't then that would be an indication the disease has progressed too much for any of the medications to help.

whether I prolong this for a week or whatever... I want to avoid the trauma of taking her to the vet (for me and for her). Rather than have a mobile vet come to my home for $200 (!!!), a friend said she gave her cat a little of a valium and it went to sleep and passed. Could I try with clonazapam? (I had it for muscle spasms!)

I definitely wouldn't recommend giving her anything to get her to go to sleep. There is too much risk that something could go wrong and she could end up suffering a difficult death. Different cats can act differently to certain drugs.

Oh dear. With tears I thank you for your directness and clarity. This has really been a godsend to get straight answers as I've tried all kinds of neutral internet sites. I know this isn't the kind of case you like, but it is a great service to help when our thinking is so muddled and wishing won't work anymore. Thank you, Dr.
Oops I tried clicking a 5 star review but it isn't showing up.

You are very welcome. I know it is very difficult when you have your pets who are going through this. Glad I can give you some claritly. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding your cat

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Dr, I have no more questions as your answer helped me make my difficult decision. Today I had a mobile vet come to help me say a peaceful farewell to my sweet cat. I think the hardest part of the whole process was figuring out the right thing to do and when to do it, what to look for, and how to protect my dear friend from suffering. Your part has been a great service. In gratitude, Andrea

Sorry to hear about you saying farewell to your sweet cat. At least she was able to be at home in this difficult process.

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian