Denise Cudiamat
Denise Cudiamat, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99472105

How can we rid our house and 2 cats of fleas We have tried

How can we rid our house and 2 cats of fleas We have tried for the cats taking one cat to the vet and had advantage on the neck . For the home we have set off up to 10 foggers while closing off the individual room. We are still getting some flea bites on us. We are thinking of buying diatomaceous earth today . We have some front line spray but have not applied it to out cats and home. Help .

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

Unfortunately, fleas can be very troublesome and can take several months to resolve.

How long ago did you take your cat to the vet?

Have you applied Revolution to both cats?

Any other pets in the home?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Home is primary problem, took cats a week ago today, used advantage 1 week ago, no other pets in home .

Ok, it sounds like you are off to a good start.

Given the flea's life cycle, it can take 3 months to completely resolve a flea infestation in the home.

Continue to apply Revolution monthly to both cats.

For the home, recent studies show that vacuuming/mopping the home every other day can the the most effect part of the treatment plan.

Cleaning your home is a very important step to eradicating a flea problem. Vacuuming, sweeping and mopping help get the eggs, larvae, and pupae out of your carpets, upholstery, tile, and wood floors.

• Throw away the bag each time you vacuum. Flea pupae will hatch inside the bag from the vibrations your vacuum causes.
  • Sweep & mop tile or wood flooring. Since fleas love dark places, they can live in your baseboards as well.
  • Wash your pet's bedding - Fleas love to nest in the same place your pet does to keep feeding on him or her. Don't just take the cover off of your pet's bed, since fleas can be hiding in the stuffing as well.
  • Wash your pet's toys - Fleas and eggs will hide in your pet's toys. If you can't wash one of your pet's toys, it is best to throw it out.

Tip: Wash all of your and your pet's belongings in hot water to kill fleas and flea eggs.

I recommend using a home spray (Siphortol) is my preferred brand of spray.

http://www.petsupplies4less.com/Siphotrol-Plus-II-Premise-Spray_p_2612.html?preselopt=7295&gclid=CjwKCAjww9_MBRAWEiwAlaMJZtOtbHeRrzJ-HNfiWZLglilesVyiU3Q3C_Bw0bf7nFrmwGmfj8Jq2hoCk3EQAvD_BwE

1. Spray this into your vacuum to kill any fleas that are vacuumed up prevent any eggs from hatching within the vacuum.

2. Spray this everywhere in the home, esp under beds, couches and furniture. (Foggers can help, but the product will settle on top of furniture and not treat the area below).

Continue to vacuum every other day.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks you for the detailed and quick response. 5 stars and a nominal tip. We will let you know how it goes

You are very welcome. I wish you all the best!