Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat, has been acting very lethargic today, been throwing

up a lot today. Sometimes...
My cat, has been acting very lethargic today, been throwing up a lot today. Sometimes acts like he has to go to the bathroom(not near litter box, but sometimes also in litter box) yesterday he made a weird meow sound and threw up his food. He's been like this on and off for a few months. Sometimes he's fine acting normal, but today is only when he's been lethargic too acting like in a serif daze.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about,?
Customer: I know this week and last he was messing with some lilies and babies breath, in a vase, but I moved them away so he couldn't get it, I think it had something to do with the plants. But I'm not sure if he has other problems because of his weight( he is over weight) he likes to try to eat the dogs food as well. Although he manages to get one piece of dog food a day. I've been giving him water with his dry cat food which seems to help with his eating to fast which usually helps him from throwing up. But today is when he's been throwing up more and acting werid
8/19/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long since he last passed urine?

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Do you think he ate any of the lily at all?

I think he did eat some of the lily, I'm not sure when the last time he went to the bathroom, when I press on his stomach, he doesn't seem in pain he's just letting me press him, which he would usually try to get me to not(he doesn't like his tummy rubbed or petted usually) he's gums are kinda moist sticky doesn't look pale
When he throws up he was it was his food but all mushed up, but today it was saliva with some white foam

Oh dear,

Just since you didn't mention the lily species, was it a peace lily or any other kind?

Hello again,

Unfortunately that isn't a peace lily. The reason I was keen to know is because those are the one lily that only mild issues (GI upset and mouth irritation, similar to baby's breath effects) in cats. The others are toxic to the kidneys even in tiny doses. And if a cat is poisoned by a lily, they can show changes in thirst/urination (sometimes passing loads of watery urine something none at all depending on how damaged the kidneys are) and as toxins build we can see vomiting and lethargy. So, I am very worried about your lad.

Otherwise, I have to say that this straining is another concern. If he is doing so and not passing any urine, we also have to consider urinary blockage. This too is an emergency situation. And with both these worries in mind, I do feel he needs to be seen right away. If he were my patient, I'd seem him right now. We need a local vet to check for blockage but also his kidney function. IV fluids may be needed and if he is blocked that of course needs to be relieved before it causes further bladder and kidney harm. So, this is a serious situation and we'd really want him seen right away.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok, thank you so much, my boyfriend had suggested giving him small doses of laxatives but to see what the vet thought first would be a good idea.

Hi again,

If we knew he could pass urine, we could try cat hairball gel to try to counter constipation. Though I do have to warn that your boyfriend's suggestion is not advisable. Most human laxatives are not cat safe and if we were to vomit a GI lubricant it could lead to aspiration pneumonia and breathing troubles. So, those aren't safe here. And while you could try Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) for his vomiting; if you let lily toxicity or a blocked bladder linger they can be fatal for cats.

Dr. B.

he found this online:The following over-the-counter products may relieve your cat’s constipation, but make sure to consult your veterinarian before giving any medications to your cat.Laxatone is an edible petroleum gel that helps lubricate your cat’s digestive tract. It comes in different flavors and your cat may lick it off your fingers.- Metamucil is a source of fiber. Mix one to four teaspoons with your cat’s food every 12 to 24 hours.- Miralax is another laxative and stool softener. Mix 1/4 tsp once a day with wet food.

Hi again,

Most of those are not traditional "laxatives". Yes, Laxatone is a cat hairball gel which I did mention was an option. Metamucil can be added to food (not given directly) but your cat is vomiting so that is impractical to consider. And Miralax is a GI lubricant and again as I noted cannot be given safely to a vomiting cat. If you give that and he vomits you put him at serious respiratory risk. I have seen owners to this and their cats have ended up on oxygen, something I do not want your cat to end up needing. I am not arguing that there aren't alternative constipation options but most are not practical or safe here, which is why I didn't list them as I have for straight constipation cases.. And I think you are missing the most important part. Constipation is treatable but its minor give the history you have given. His other signs and the fact that you do think he ate a bit to lily are much more serious and to overlook them and just try to treat the minor issue will put him at serious risk and could actually end up leading him into a grave situation.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Thank you, ***** ***** to take him to the vet before speaking with you actually, I wanted a second opinion on if I should which you helped me think yes he should definitely go! I just hate going all the time I think they should go when it turns out to be something I could have taken care of. I tend to worry too much about my pets heath issues. But I feel it's always best to go when in doubt.
How do I rate you?

You are very welcome, my dear.

I do feel that is best. If you were one of my clients ringing the out of hours line, I'd be seeing you right away that is how serious I am concerned this is. So, we do want to be safe for him. In regards ***** ***** there should jsut be some stars at the top of the page or you can rate verbally on a scale of 1-5 (with 5 being best).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Thank you again!
I am giving you 5 stars

Thank you and you are very welcome, my dear.

I wish you both the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian