Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 14 year old cat is lethargic at times and other times

acts normal. One day he...
My 14 year old cat is lethargic at times and other times acts normal. One day he didnt eat but drinks water, another he eats. He saw vet other day but vet couldnt get his blood because he fought too much
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Vet gave him sub-c fluids while there.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: Bammy is my cat's name.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/18/2017
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does Bammy seem to be losing weight at all? Any vomiting?

He started vomiting Mon night. Then vomited white foam Tues am. Saw vet Tues. Vomited again yesterday. No vomiting today. No weight loss that I can tell.
His stool this morning was alarming.... pinkish liquid with a lot of white mucous. Slept most of today, but perky now. Still not eating but drinks water.
Oh, and Vet gave him an anti-nausea med we took home. Havent given to him though yet because he ate a lot yesterday. Our normal Vet is out of office for a few weeks so we had to take him to someone else that doesnt know him.

Okay thanks for the additional information. What type of medications has he received so far besides the Sub-Q fluids? With Bammy being an older cat I would be concerned about a number of issues such as kidney disease, overactive thyroid, or diabetes. Since he is difficult to get blood from, I would ask your veterinarian about a sedative if they think it is safe. I have used a medication called Gabapentin and it seems to help some with cats that are not cooperative.

He received cerenia for nausea. He highly discouraged sedating him (under) due to his age. He suggested tying his front paws and a muzzle. No other Vet had any issues taking his blood in the past, so that was frustrating to hear. Bammy has a history of Pancreatitis and he is asthmatic, in case that's relevant. I have heard of Gabapentin
Is that safe for 14 year old cats?
Most concerning waa his stool this morning. What could stool like that mean?

Okay thanks for the additional information. Did the cerenia seem to help with the vomiting? I wouldn't recommend tying his paws. That may make things worse. Gabapentin seems to be relatively safe in most cats if only used ocassionally. It is definitely safer then using a injectable sedative which may be an issue with an older cat

No, I hadnt tried the Cerenia because he ate just fine yesterday. Should we try that tonight? Could that be why he isn't eating today?
We are most likely going to call that Vet back tomorrow to get him in, so I will suggest Gabapentin to them. Meanwhile for tonight, does anything sound alarming?

If he is not eating because he is nauseous it may help. I would try it tonight and see what happens. If he continues to vomit then I would be concerned. Also any additional diagnostics that you may consider would be an abdominal x-ray as well

Okay, I'll give him the cerenia tonight. Do you think the xray is just as important as the bloodwork? Also is the UA and fecal just as important? They suggested all of these the other day.

With how long this has been going on , I think all of those are important to hopefully pinpoint what is going on with Bammy.

Okay, thank you very much!

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns?

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Okay, will do. Thank again and have a good night.

You as well

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian